Saturday, July 26, 2014

DIY Terra Cotta Succulent Planters



I have been wanting to decorate some terra cotta planters ever since I saw A Beautiful Mess's take with lace (see it here). BUT I didn't have anything to plant in cute little pots! Until... my kick-ass boyfriend surprised me with some tiny cacti and a palm tree, lol, for my birthday! I made a Goodwill run, grabbed a few things from around the house and begun!


Materials:
-Glass and or Terra Cotta pot's [I found mine @ Goodwill]
-Decorative lace, ribbon, burlap etc. [Hobby Lobby, they always have coupons online!]
-Little Projects Glue
-Scissors
-Fabric Measuring Tape
-Cute plants!

STEP 1:
Measure the area where you will be applying your decorative ribbon. Be sure to get the measuring tape as flat and tight as possible.

STEP  2:

Cut the amount of material you just measured. Cut as straight as you can! You want to avoid fraying material.

STEP 3:

Begin gluing material to the pot. I applied the glue to the material to begin and held it to the pot with my palm. Towards the end I applied the glue to the pot and then stuck on the material.

This step can easily be messed up, take your time! You want to be sure all the material is stuck to the pot and that there are no bubbles.


REPEAT THESE STEPS ON YOUR OTHER POT


STEP 4:


Tape the fabric measuring tape around the bottom and trace a line. Follow this line with masking tape.

Stick your finger in the paint pot and paint away! This paint is extremely easy to work with and can be smudged around with your fingers. I only applied one coat to this pot. (:

STEP 5:

I didn't want to glue anything onto the glass container so I used the paint. Using the bends on the container as lines, I placed my tape there and finger painted the space in-between.  Wait about 20 minutes and apply a second coat of paint.



PLANT YOUR SUCCULENTS & VOILA!
There you have it! An incredibly cute and easy DIY <3

-M

No comments:

Post a Comment